Our Policy Priorites
1. Study the examination of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) water safety education standard at all levels beginning at early childhood, then pre-kindergarten through 12th.
2. Increase awareness of water safety strategies and drowning risk among children through a declaration of Texas Drowning Prevention Week during the third week in May.
3. Support strategic funding efforts for state agencies that aim to promote public awareness of protective factors for children specifically as it relates to layers of protection to prevent drowning deaths.
4. Support better collection and reporting of fatal and nonfatal drowning data across Texas.
5. Support statewide efforts around the American Academy of Pediatrics policies that promote the inclusion of water safety during well child pediatrician visits for youth.